Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Letting Go and Making Space

What popped into your mind when you read the title of this post? It means something different for every person and changes often.

For me, today, it’s about “stuff.” My home is mostly neat and organized – except two spaces: the garage and an extra bedroom. These spaces are where I stick anything that doesn’t have a place. Things that should either be put away, given away or thrown away.

We hang on to all kinds of things: belongings, people, habits and beliefs. Often we hang onto them long past their usefulness. Too often, we define ourselves by these things -- which is why it is so hard to let them go.

So what was it that you first thought of when reading the title? Are you ready to let it go and make room for more in your life?

Because when you hang onto things that are outdated, you prevent something new and better from coming into your life. This applies to “stuff” as well as to people, relationships, bad habits, unfulfilling jobs, excess weight, and outdated or negative beliefs. Your ego forms attachments to things, people, habits and beliefs out of a desperate need to give form and definition to something that is formless and indefinable: you. You are not what you own, who you are in a relationship with, who your friends are, what your job is, what you believe or how much you weigh.

It’s only by letting go that you can receive. Let go of what doesn’t serve you… and I’m going to go clean out my garage.

1 comment:

  1. When I read the title, I thought, 'everything.' This year I'm working on the law of allowing so I'm trying to let go of as many attachments as I can and some have been harder than others. This post was a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete